Saturday, September 13, 2008

confessions of my anger with movie translators....and then a little at myself....

So-it's been a reoccuring theme that when people are speaking to me-sometimes they say some odd things. Last week, one of the crazy guys at church said the American slang word for "jerk". You know what it is. We were at church and my jaw dropped. As I recomposed myself, the young man asked me what it meant. Looking at his face, I realized that he had no clue what he just said. I kindly explained what the word actually meant and his face dropped. Now, he was in shock. We were both heartbroken and maybe a bit embarrased. I didn't know who to be angry with-the American television or the Portuguese translators. That's right, just fluff it up, make it something it is not. Sounds like a nonliteral translation.........that's frustrating as well....

Anyways-I thought of Jenn Martin today as I walked through the Metro Station. This thumping began to run through my body as I walked closer to the open area. I thought for sure I had walked into the ghetto---and yet as I got closer--I began to laugh at myself. They were just break dancing. Someone set up a set of spinners and there were all of these people sitting and standing in a circle. In turn, they were on their heads, their sides, feet in the air-kind of like hip hop gumby or something.

Almost as funny as I was walking in the supermarket the other night and this annoying, BLARING music was coming from the front of the cash registers. After a few trips up and down the isle--I look over--and it's a guy playing a keyboard and singing karaoke in English. "Nuh uh" came out of my mouth as I continued shopping (and once again laughing). I needed that good laugh after one of those "hard" days.

Every other Friday night, we have a service for the Youth of our school. This service includes praise & worship, some crazy fellowship, and an astounding message from Chris Fryar (our school financial director and his other position is "Principal of the Cafeteria"-according to his son, Caleb). Chris began to see the need for the students to get real with God. To get real with their actions, their idols, their insecurities, their thoughts, and their lives in general. Apparently some of them have given in to the world during the summer. The staff is broken and concerned for the students as there have been other factors worked into this equation as well-such as the Muslim family (yes parents and all) that attended, the Brazilian girls, and a few others. I know God can do whatever He wants and will use whomever He wants...
"Take me past the outer courts, into the holy place,
Past the brazen alter, Lord I want to see your face,
Take me past the crowds of people and priests who sing your face
I hunger and thirst for your righteousness and I've only found one place.."

Chris talked about the students' reasons for being there every other week. He asked them to
evaluate their lives for the sake of God. He was talking in context of coming to Smash....But-It really made me stop and think a bit about my own selfish motives for certain things in my life. I am really praying that I will seek to serve God better by seeking to serve others well. Serving others when it isn't convenient for me. Service always with a cheerful giving heart. I think I can get bogged down with "stuff" which makes service to others tiring and inconvenient for me. I am directed to the verses in Matthew 25-And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'-when someone is need. I should be ready to serve anytime-anyone-without complaint.


On a lighter note-I experienced my first power outage this week-While I was in the shower at 5 am one morning. Quite hilarious. Thank the Lord for decisions NOT to wash hair and for candles in tins ( I told you guys I would need them!!). I opened my computer for light and amazingly enough put on makeup and finished getting ready! Oh the things you can do!!

1 comment:

jenn said...

Maybe America's Best Dance Crew needs to come Brazil's way to audition these "new, new hip hoppas" (a little Missy in case you don't know, Holla!)

So I'm putting together that many faiths come to your school. Somehow, I just keep thinking that these are all little Christian babies. The work there sounds fulfilling and busy. You labor not in vain sweet sister...

My Pow Pow and Me

My Pow Pow and Me