Tuesday, September 9, 2008

confessions of 4 1/2 year olds on the green carpet

So-today-I bravely layed out our paperback classroom Bibles (fearful of what would happen to them) and anxiously awaited the arrival of my students.
I obviously didn't understand their view of reverance.
I always read from the Bible to them and read verses out of the Bible. I really didn't know if they could actually hold their Bibles and listen to a story without ripping the pages, throwing them around, sitting on them, etc. (all the things I've seen them do with my books).
Wow, God is so great-He is so wondrous. They knew what they were holding. In the innocence of their minds-they carefully looked at the pictures, flipped through the pages, and some even began unfolding some of the tattered and folded pages. When we held them-it was like a silent hush fell over the kids as they each received this huge book.
As I was reading the story-they began looking at the pages and as this perturbed me, I stopped to listen to what they were saying. One of my 4 1/2 year olds said, "Look-this is Jesus-he is still on the cross." Grasping this teachable moment I said, "No, Jesus is not on the cross. He is with God the Father in heaven." Upon this, we went through the whole story. My little Zambian was on it-she told him all about how Jesus was punished for our sins(think Passion of the Christ) to which I began to talk about sin and what this was. We talked about how Jesus was perfect (and in the conversation someone said, "Yeah, he never pinched or hit his friends." This was so profound to a couple of them. I should also share that they had this "nuh uh" moment the other day when I told them that we are all sinful from birth-from the time we are babies. I mean their looks said it all (some even dropped the jaw)---they were astonished at this concept.
I'm almost certain that two of my students do not attend church and from their responses-we are not really sure what their religious views are at home. I will say though, that one of them sings Jesus Loves Me like it's going out of style and the other BEGS to pray before lunch. Simply amazing. God can do whatever He wants.
"All God's children singing, Glory, Glory, Hallelujah He Reigns, He Reigns"-this rolls off their tongues at least four times a day (depending on the CD rotation) and Hosanna (Christy Nockels) is beginning to go from hummms to words-they also love Kari Jobe -and Shawn McDonald makes them wiggle in their seats. I'll tell you though, the ones that love it the most are the two with the rather sketchy backgrounds.
Pray for them and for their families that I would have the chance to show them all Christ and just share God's love and truth with them as the occasions arise.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

what a fantastic day! this definitely gave me the warm fuzzies :)

God is so good!

We love and miss you, and we are praying for you daily!

jenn said...

Your obedience to the Lord is so encouraging to me. Isn't it interesting what little ones can grasp? The other day Molly and I were listening to the song "Beloved" (i think is the title) from She Must and Shall Go Free and Molly said, "Mom, is he singing that like he is God talking to us?" The lyrics were: Beloved, listen to me. Don't believe all that you see. And don't you ever let any one tell you that there's anything that you need, but Me. It was a great moment (teaching moment) in the car. Little ones amaze me too.

My Pow Pow and Me

My Pow Pow and Me