Monday, March 2, 2009

confessions....of camp....in Portuguese...

Well, I will say that I being around so much Portuguese ignited my narrow mind. I understood 75% of a sermon last Saturday night! This was SOOO exciting to me. When I would get lost, I would listen very carefully for the whisper of my translator (as she was translating to my new roomie-Steph). So---I praised God incessantly for the remainder of the service. I was amazed at the transformation of my brain and the processing of a new language. I'm by no means fluent-please don't get the wrong idea.... but it is coming together. I still have a hard time with conversations-just because you never know what people are going to say......



The awkward part of camp. Do you remember when you were younger and you went somewhere with your parents. You understood that people were talking around you but didn't really understand what was being said? You just did what everyone else did and then some things that you were told to do? Like a little girl in a crowd. Which was humbling and good for me to look and not be able to speak at some points....



Otherwise........Camp was amazing!!! I met some great people and talked in Portuguese and English-I learned a ton and sat through an amazing class on Spiritual Gifts. I feel myself becoming hungrier and hungier for the Word. Recaps from camp......apparnetly it is real funny to have "date night" at these things. Which "geeks" me out anyway.......but I was told I had to have one. Which was funnier. But then here's the real kicker--as a funny thing---you had to send notes to your dates in which the mc read aloud before and after dinner, lunch, etc. I was mortified. They finally set me up with this dude who also didn't know anyone (and English either HAHA) and it was what it was. I got this really weird feeling in my gut after lunch one day and left early.....as I was walking up the hill---I hear my name over the sound system. ..........yup-I ran the rest of the way to the bunk.

So for that night-I didn't geek out like normal. I was also suffering from a sick eye that was swollen shut (haha-I bet that was funny to look at). Okay- all jokes aside-I learned something.... I learned that I can act like a human being in awkward situations-maybe I'm growing up. I'm always aspiring the kind of grace Julie Lasslo seems to radiate.....and that night-I think I had a little....

I taught them to play the cup game in which we proceded to play until 3 in the morning. It was amazing!



About the eye-I was taken to a special "eye hospital" (literally a huge building for eye specialities) where the lady basically said no makeup, no contacts, no fans, and no more face medicine. So-I gave up two completely..........



My mom comes TOMORROW!!!! For a whole month!!!!! I am so very excited about this but it is almost like it is too good to be true! Thank you to our dear friends that provided her a way to come and see me. She will be working in my classroom through the morning and working in the other classrooms in the afternoon.



My classroom met Flat Stanley and LOVED him. My little British boy said, "Is he really, real?"
:) I've been trying to wait for him to arrive in the mail, but it looks like Carnaval is holding the mail up big time....so I'm going to introduce him tomorrow and read Jenn's blog!



We kicked off Reading Month in which I turned my classroom into a mini-jungle. There are vines, leaves, trees, monkeys, frogs, and book covers hanging from the wires. And-I'm getting ready to turn a corner into the "Where the Wild Things Are".......so that will be very interesting....



I started praying in a circle with my students and doing the hand squeezing thing.....and they really love this. They ask to pray like that all the time!



The funnies:



My kids were reciting old Bible Verses today (completely on their own......) and instead of saying "Exodus" they said "Excellence".......



My British boy never fails me:

"See you later alligator, Don't forget the toilet paper."

No comments:

My Pow Pow and Me

My Pow Pow and Me