Monday, December 22, 2008

confessions at the marriott of sao paulo...

well, it's 4:39 am and guess what. i'm awake. i'm not on an airplane. i'm not crossing the equator without a weather radar. and my head feels like i'm still wearing my sunglasses (weird huh)
actually. i'm sitting at a great hotel :) with the air conditioner blowing my hair, and i'm throwing back a coke zero.
i did,however acquire the perfect exit row seat with adequate leg room and a short person behind me (unlike the female high school basketball star that sat behind me on the way to brasilia in july) and a pretty nice man sitting next to me.
the flight seemed perfect. we ate dinner about 12:30am (no kidding) and as we were finishing the captain came on and said that we were having weather radar difficulties and that we absolutely could not cross the equator with no weather thingy. so we turned around (after being in the air for a little over an hour). as that happened-i just began to chuckle at the thoughts of not being home for christmas. that's all i could do. the guy sitting next to me was a bit distraught and I think it made him feel better to hear me laugh about it. so, he struck up a conversation and he laughed at the fact that i was reading the brasilian newspaper, he said, "oh, so you can READ portuguese?" I was like....well, i didn't pay my tutor for nothing.... yada yada-it kept him in a better mood talking about brasilia and the great food they had there, the people of course (my favorite). We talked about my love for the little villages and his inability to live in a place like that. I told him about missions and why I was in Brazil, etc. But this is the kicker....as plane taxied back to the gate-they informed us that we would be going ot the marriott (haha on the portuguese guy said that and i caught it!) to which he looks over and says, (get ready for it) "I know that they will make more than one person stay in a room, you want to room together?" I don't remember my reaction but I'm pretty sure I turned away before I could give him the judgemental eyes. I was so thankful that he stopped to hear an explanation from one of the co-pilots. I ran. Really fast. Got my voucher and took the first taxi I could find. I'm praying for the conversations we will have tomorrow because maybe I didn't do a very good job of relaying information to him about why I was here and WHO sent me. But I clearly talked about missions and that I worked at a Christian school to which he quickly connected that to "peace corp". i'll have to build on that tomorrow.

anyhow-so i'm wide awake and the hotel has informed us that we will not have internet tomorrow (or later today actually..) So-hopefully I won't have to update this again...I will be able to update you in person :) Love you all :)

1 comment:

jenn said...

Are you in the country? I'm confused, which doesn't take much anymore!!!! Call me when you get here...

My Pow Pow and Me

My Pow Pow and Me