Monday, August 4, 2008

Two weeks in Africa...

Johannesburg to Capetown
the plane had barely touched down
she was taking photos for the friends back home
this was always where she felt her heart belonged
and she was finally here
the sky was bright and clear


I think of my best friend, Mary, when I hear this song. Her heart beats for the nation of Africa. The song goes on to say two weeks-and this week she left for 5 1/2 months. The ardor for these people radiates from every part of her. I'm truly blessed to have a best friend going out. I couldn't count the conversations we've had about missions. The quality in those alone-accounts for the encouragement and the fanning of those flames in our lives. I miss her, but I know God's got this (actually always had it).


I realized not too long ago that I've never read the Bible all the way through-in a consistent manner. So-under the advice of Donald Whitney-I've started reading one chapter per day in several places-Genesis, Job, Proverbs, Matthew, and then Nehemiah( I just started this one today). It's been great to review the promises of God, watch perserverance, answer questions of wisdom, and go through the life of Jesus. Already, this journey is amazing. Shame on me for not doing this before now.

Church is going well-I understand more Portuguese there than I do anywhere else. It is very different, but my ears are becoming accustomed to words and phrases. I think the pastors are going to work out something so that I will have access to the sermons before the services. So-hopefully we can work something out.

Today, my apartment became full again! I am so thankful for the two girls that God has placed in my life. I'm praying that our relationships grow and that we can be pictures of encouragement, grace, and help during this time.

Prayer Requests
new Brasilian friends
Language Barriers
BIS-students, staff, and construction
Scott and Stacey Bose (administrators)
Aundrea and Michael Taylor's Visa
Mare in South Africa
CrossPoint Baptist and Bro. Randy
Relationships

Praises
All of our staff made it!
Mary made it to Tanzania
Construction progress on the new school
Good church here!

2 comments:

jenn said...

Yeah! an update on Brazil. ok, i can't get your skipe (sp) to work on my phone, so call me again and I'll see if It comes up or saves. I'm proud of you for reading the Whitney study book again. I have not read the bible through either. I didn't know there was a section that told a plan to encourage that. I miss you and am praying for you. Sometimes:)))!

amandabolin said...

well you've got half a dozen copies laying around your house :) it's a recommended reading and changes my life at least two or three times a year-thanks to your husband. and-it has changed others as well. it is absolutely worn out and i still pack it almost everywhere (as in living) that I go.
I love that you pray for me sometimes :) Newsletters go out this week -lookfor it!!!

My Pow Pow and Me

My Pow Pow and Me