Thursday, August 14, 2008

Everything you need to know, you learned in Kindergarten...




Wow-I so agree with this statement. There are innumberable experiences (today alone) which make me believe every word of this! Kindergarten is before most of the world taints your view of life, love, and color. You begin to realize differences and immediately you can see how each person will treat these differences. :) Sometimes it is actually how someone teaches your "perspective" on these topics.....


Beginning with bus duty-these are not just any buses-they are Embassy buses from Zambia, America, and a couple of others. It is quite different than the United States-for sure!


Today, not 5, or 6, but 10 smiling faces greeted me at the door :) The Pre-K and Kindergarten are meeting together for a few days while the Pre-K room is being finished. I love, love, love the Pre-K teacher-she is amazing! She is the most diligent and sacrificial person that I know. She set her classroom up and they tore it down-now she is with me for a couple of days. In true Christlike fashion-she truly takes whatever He gives her and makes the best. I'm learning a lot from her....and I'm so thankful for her.


So-officially I will have 6 students for half a day and 7 for the last half. One of my students only speaks Portuguese-so-guess who is practicing? Or actually, guess who is teaching me? I know a few things well enough to get me through the day-like no touching, sit, and some other commands.
They are all so beautiful, colorful, a bit audacious, and completely accomodating to our crazy mixed classroom! I love their little faces!
This is our "silly" picture!

Well, one of my favorite mission kids-Brody (a cool name for a cool kid!) and I went to the Pizza place-at his request. I ordered all in Portuguese (even his juice), got ice (you have to ask for it), asked for the check, and everything! Plus-I'm kind of starting to build some relationships with the people there. They help me with words and guide my pronunciation when it is not just right. My Thursday night spot! I also tend to take the kids into a specific drug store (for little whatnots) on Thursdays-and the owner speaks English, Spanish, and Portuguese-so I can speak whatever language I choose! Yet another relationship!


Weird thing of the week-I tend to think of words in Spanish-a lot. So-a lot of times, I just go ahead and try it-sometimes this works. I just think it's funny that I can immediately think of almost everything I need to say-in Spanish (and I didn't think I knew very much-THANK YOU CUBA!)...... I think the fact that I use English at school, at home, and around most of the people I know-is very hindering to learning Portuguese.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

look at your kids!! i am sitting here with a totally goofy smile on my face, and it's because of you! i am so thankful that you were persistent and patient to wait for God... look what you have gotten! you are a wonderful example to me. i love you!

jenn said...

I started school this week and felt like I had been hit by a bus, like the ones that you have in Brazil! I love reading your enthusiasm. I don't have your skype number so you MUST call me when you can. I am doing math, math, math, and have now been pulled for a little Reading Intervention work(like running records and time delay stuff). 3 more semesters. Thank you for including us in your praises. John and I learn more and more about grace and forgiveness. It is something to be praised. I deserve nothing (just like you :) but God lavishly loves. Crazy. I saw Ginger Thursday in Ashland, and she is terrific. Sick with the baby but awesome. We ate pizza and hung out like old times. She is really trying to move us to Texas.

New Years Eve is a go! I may even plan like a dinner theater/murder/mystery something to make it even more special than it already will be. Just like Ashley said, you amaze me with your faithfulness and lack of fear. i have something to learn from you in this area, because i'm scared sometimes.
Have a great next couple of days, teach! How do you say "crackhead" in Portuguese?

Tyler and Marie said...

I LOVE reading your blogs, Amanda!! Your students are adorable, and it's great to hear about how you're adjusting in Brazil! You're faith and willingness to serve wherever and however God calls continues to encourage me on a daily basis!

PS. Your friends from CrossPoint had no idea you had a blog! I mentioned it at bible study last night, and they're totally excited to check it out!! Just letting you know, I'll be giving everyone this web address, so keep us updated when you get the chance!!!

LOVE YOU and praying for you!!

My Pow Pow and Me

My Pow Pow and Me