Sunday, February 1, 2009

confessions of a complainer.

Sometimes I just want to complain. And then I think-why complain? Does it make me feel any better--No. Does it make anyone feel better--it shouldn't. Welcome to my life-I'm a complainer. This is important. Complaining shows no evidence of a great God who is in control, takes care of me, and loves me. I need to listen to my "Help My Unbelief" album by Red Mountain. It all boils down to my unbelief and the need to hear the gospel day in and day out. To actually preach to myself through scripture on a daily basis. I watched a piper sermon that changed my whole perspective on a few things. He begins by quoting scripture for 10 minutes straight from Psalms, Romans, and a few other places. The way he emphasized the words-it was almost as if he was having a conversation or he was just preaching. It was amazing.
It means that we welcome Jesus into our lives and make room for him to live, not as a silent guest with no opinions or commands, but as an authoritative guest whose opinions matter more to us than anyone else's and whose commands are the law of our life.
He highlighted several points that I know are true: The devil knows scripture and can quote it (reference to Jesus in the wilderness), if you aren't memorizing scripture-how can you live it? You can't. It is simply impossible. John 15:7 says that "If you abide in me and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will and it shall be done for you."
Abiding in Him with this complaining weakness. Casting my cares upon Him is the only solution to this problem. Something I should have done a long time ago.
I've begun to memorize Psalm 1.
Blessed is the man who does not walk in the ways of the wicked, stand in the way of a sinner,
sit in the seat of a scoffer,
-that is as far as I've gotten. I will get the rest and then go on to Scriptures pertaining to prayer.


I got a new roommate this weekend-she sure is a sweetie! We've had a great time going out, exploring, and talking about her new home. I don't claim to know everything about how to live here, but I definitely want to share what I do know.

I'm running again-this time for real. I was playing around the last two times. I ran for 7 days straight-and finished 4 weeks of a 9 week 5K plan. I took a rest day on Friday and then started week 5 on Saturday. Tomorrow will be the test-the plan says that I should run for 20 minutes straight-to which I say, "Really?" That would be fantastic-we'll see tomorrow. I've been amazed at myself thusfar-so it could happen. I feel so fortunate to be able to run. God is so good in that.

My kids are celebrating GroundHog Day and 100th Day of school next week! It is sometimes strange to celebrate holidays that aren't really relevant to Brasil but definitely relevant to an "American Education". Strange Strange. One of my students had the revelation of "God is Jesus and Jesus is God" last week. I love his little heart. Their little light bulbs are on fire right now-working overtime as we write words, talk about New Zealand (for International Fair), and figure out how to write numbers 1-31. They are so cool and don't even know it! :) There are several families considering BIS for next year-please pray for these families and their decisions. Two of them have students entering Kindergarten-which would make my class ALL BOYS! :) If they come, I will have 4 boys and no girls. We're praying the enrollment increases because we do have room for them now!

We're also praying for the new recruits. There are four people already praying about coming! Mr. Bose will go to the states this week to meet potential teachers for next year. We need them! We are losing two elementary teachers and one high school teacher. We are also still waiting for the Taylors to come. They are waiting for their home to sell. They want to be here but are being obedient in continuing to work and to care for foster children in their home. God is not lost in this and those hurting children need Godly influences like the Taylors.

Dear God. Thank you for showing me day in and day out how important You are and how to abide in you. I'm sorry for being a complainer. Help me to complain to you-Help me to run to you and to your perfect word when I need encouragement. Help my unbelief.

3 comments:

jenn said...

I'm proud of you running! of course i'm going to say that. I promise you, if I can run some, you definitely can run some. I think it is the greatest physical anology of preserving through tough things that nothing else can be. I complain too. It really is worthless, but I justify that if I complain to God, then he really is the one who knows my heart and he will either change the thing or change me. and that's a good thing.

TSL said...

You are not a complainer. You are a joy. Everyone needs to vent now and again, venting is more summarizing than complaining, just a way of working things out. Be good to yourself, keep doing wonderful things, and remember, you are a joy, not a complainer.

David said...

You are not a complainer. You are a joy. Everyone needs to vent now and again, venting is more summarizing than complaining, just a way of working things out. Be good to yourself, keep doing wonderful things, and remember, you are a joy, not a complainer.

My Pow Pow and Me

My Pow Pow and Me