Friday, May 9, 2008

Mrs. C. H. Spurgeon

:) I was reading up on Spurgeon today and came upon an online copy of his wife's biography. Beautifully written and eloquently expressed her feelings as well as his throughout their lives.
It is so encouraging to read about women like Mrs. Spurgeon and the experiences she had throughout her life being a wife to such an amazing man.

“Ah!” wrote Mrs. Spurgeon in after years, “how little I then thought that my eyes looked on him who was to be my life’s beloved; how little I dreamed of the honor God was preparing for me in the near future! It is a mercy that our lives are not left for us to plan, but that our Father chooses for us; else might we sometimes turn away from our best blessings, and put from us the choicest and loveliest gifts of His providence. For, if the whole truth be told, I was not at all fascinated by the young orator’s eloquence, while his countrified manner and speech excited more regret than reverence. Alas, for my vain and foolish heart! I was not spiritually-minded enough to understand his earnest presentation of the Gospel and his powerful pleading with sinners; - but the huge, black satin stock, the long badly-trimmed hair, and the blue pocket handkerchief with white spots which he himself has so graphically described, - these attracted most of my attention and I fear awakened some feelings of amusement. There was only one sentence of the whole sermon which I carried away with me, and that solely on account of its quaintness, for it seemed to me an extraordinary thing for the preacher to speak of the ‘living stones in the Heavenly Temple perfectly joined together with the vermilion cement of Christ’s blood.’”

Interested in the book as a whole? http://www.biblebb.com/files/SPURGEON/mrsspur.htm
I highly recommend it!

No comments:

My Pow Pow and Me

My Pow Pow and Me